Thursday, May 5, 2011

Odun d'Arechaga has passed....

On January 13, 2011, Odun d'Arechaga passed away. Born Frederick d'Arechaga, he died peacefully in his sleep. Odun had been incapacitated by a stroke since 2005. He is mourned by all his godchildren, his lay students, and his many friends. I had hoped to include more biographical notes here, but none have been forthcoming from his godchildren. I knew him for many years and was a lay student, hoping one day to become an initiate. He was very controversial, and very outspoken. He gave freely of his time and energy, and committed his life to the ideal of the Sabaean philosophy. The Temple of the Moon in Chicago was truly a wonder while it existed, and while it stood, was an example of what can be done with dedication and enthusiasm. He will be deeply missed.

I waited this long to post this entry partly in hopes of obtaining a little more simple biographical information, and to allow the Sabaean Religious Organization put his affairs in order, and hold private services (godchildren only) for him. As I was not a godchild, I did not attend.

If any of Odun's godchildren wish to furnish a simple biographical sketch, they can email me and I will amend this posting.

But ultimately, I think Odun would be happy with this simple note. He stated repeatedly that Sabaeanism was not about him. I know that a godchild tried at one time to put together an official biography, and Odun told him that he would prefer that the godchild didn't proceed.

Odun, may the omniscient, omnipresent existence, which is the source of life for all that exists, above and below, allow the peace, eminence, and redemptive illuminance of its presence to surround you...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Marassa, I was reading Drawing Down the Moon yesterday (Beltane) and came accross the article on Sabeanism. Lovely and resonant, and todays work yeilded your blog. Thanks for sharing your blog,looking forward to more of your insights :)
    Peace
    maja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marassa. I am unfamiliar with this site, and had a hard time locating an email address. I am gathering information on this man, and wondered if you might be able to help? If you could I would love it if you could email me at melonchollyrain@yahoo.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He helped me during a very difficult time in my life. He and Elizabeth. I received head and shoulder I wAs gifted by Osun ..and more I am deeply moved by the knowledge of his passing

    ReplyDelete